Equine Science Master Program
The Equine Science Master program is designed for students who do not want to be involved, or cannot be involved, in the direct riding of horses, yet wish to pursue a career in management, teaching, equine massage therapy, leather working or a combination of these.
Each week within the Equine Science Master program consists of 24 hours of Career Area electives, 3 hours of Showing or 2 hours of Theory, and 21 hours of Horse and Barn Care. The Equine Science Master is a 3 quarter (36 week) program. View a sample program schedule and sample daily schedule.
Not sure which program to choose? Complete our Program Selection Questionnaire.
|Equine Science Master||Certificate Awarded:||Equine Science Master|
|Time Required:||36 weeks|
|Apply Online||Quarter Credits:||114|
|Sample Daily Schedule||Clock Hours:||1680|
|Sample Program Sched.||9 Career Area Electives|
|3 Horse & Barn Care (Management)|
Program ObjectivesFollowing successful completion of the Equine Science Master Program, the student will demonstrate an understanding of concepts, principles, skills & dispositions of the required and career area courses and be prepared to apply their learning to a career in the equine industry. The student will be able to:
- an understanding of the concepts and principles of the required & career area courses
- the skills required for the chosen career area that pertain to employment in the horse industry
- a realistic perspective of knowledge and skill levels related to career areas completed
- dispositions (attitudes & values) necessary for success in a career in the horse industry.
- Instructor/Teacher: ability to apply the principles, theory and practice to the development of the rider.
- Trainer: ability to apply the principles of theory and practice to the development of the performance horse in ground handling.
- Equine Business Manager: ability to manage all aspects of a horse business including, but not limited to barn management, marketing & sales, financial & record keeping.
- Breeder: ability to apply knowledge and skills to an equine breeding operation.
- Massage Therapist: ability to apply techniques of massage to increase performance level, competitiveness, and endurance in horses.
- Horse Health Provider/Barn Manager: ability to apply the principles and skills of good health to the maintenance of all horses, including but not limited to diagnosis & treatment of common illnesses & injuries, providing care & needed injections, & assisting with veterinary treatments.
- Farrier: ability to apply concepts to the assessment of the foot care needs of the horse & perform skills of trimming, shoeing, & maintenance of the foot; ability to recognize diseases of the hoof, determine appropriate types of shoes for different purposes, & apply forging techniques.
- Occupations programs prepare students to enter:
Program Length Tuition Room & Board Riding Master I 12 Weeks $9,072 $1,338 Riding Master II 12 Weeks $9,072 $1,338 Riding Master III 12 Weeks $9,072 $1,338 Riding Master IV 12 Weeks $9,072 $1,338 Riding Master V 12 Weeks $9,072 $1,338 Riding Master VI 12 Weeks $9,072 $1,338 Comp. Riding Master III 36 Weeks $27,216 $4,014 Comp. Riding Master VI 36 Weeks $27,216 $4,014 Equine Science Master 36 Weeks $20,637 $4,014 Shoeing Short Course 12 Weeks $7,500 $1,338
- Breeding Class lab fee: $325
- Teaching III lab fee: $30
- Leather Working toolkit: $145
- Leather Working lab fee: $225
- Farrier Craftsmanship text: $105
- Farrier Craftsmanship hoof knife: $34
- 2014-2015 On Time Completion Rate for students completing Comp. Riding Master III, Comp. Riding Master VI and Equine Science Master programs: 92%
- 2015 Placement Rate for students completing Comp. Riding Master III, Comp. Riding Master VI and Equine Science Master programs: 91%
Placement Rate Data
2014-2015 Median Program Loan Debt incurred by students completing Comp. Riding Master III, Comp. Riding Master VI and Equine Science Master programs:
- Median Title IV Loan Debt: $5,444
- Median Private Educational Loan Debt: $0
- Median Institutional Finance Plan Debt: $0